A must-do cultural experience for anyone visiting the Hluhluwe iMfolozi Game Reserve.
On a village tour with Mabuso you will experience village life in an authentic, non-contrived way. A chance to meet and engage with locals as they go about their day to day business and experience a day in the life of a rural Zulu Village. One of the highlights of visiting Mabhokisini Village is a chance to explore the remote gorges, forests, and Donsa waterfall on the outskirts of the village. Legend has it that the Donsa waterfall and gorge is home to a giant mythical snake and community members would bath in the water to rid themselves of evil spirits and bad luck!
Come take a walk with us and meet our people, taste our food, enjoy our scenery, our nature, our customs and explore places few western people have ever been before.
A typical tour includes the following (although this is subject to change depending on any local events or ceremonies which may be happening at the time and of interest to your group)
- Visit a Sangoma (a local traditional healer, shaman or diviner, highly revered in Zulu Culture) and get insights from your ancestors and guidance for your life.
- Experience traditional dancing and view local crafters plying their trade (You will also get a chance to purchase local craft if you wish)
- Meet the local community elders and hear stories and legends from the area
- Visit a traditional Zulu home and learn about the unique family structures
- Visit the Donsa Waterfalls, take a walk through the forest and swim in the mountain streams
- The tour ends with a visit to a local tavern where you can enjoy a cold drink or spend time soaking up the vibest place in the village!
Zakhamuzi Tours is owned and managed by Mbuso Myeni who was born and grew up in a small village called Mabhokisini on the outskirts of iMfolozi Game Reserve where all his village and waterfall tours take place. Mabuso is a trained nature guide (FGASA level 1) and passionate about his community, the environment and being an all-round happy, positive guy who is sure to inspire you with his stories and legends from years of growing up in his beautiful rural village.
Mabuso's Needs, can you assist?
With all his resources already in place, Mbuso’s prime requirement is the people to take on his tours! He needs a marketing and advertising campaign. He is also after tents and camping equipment for those guests who would like to add an overnight stay to enhance their immersion into the local culture.